Holy Trinity - The Stained Glass
The East window (Lavers and Barraud 1860) dates from the period when the Pre-Raphaelite movement was at its most influential.
The stylized figures, brilliant colours and rich decoration are consistent with Ferrey’s medieval vision: in the central light the figure of Christ raises his right hand in benediction while to the left and right he is flanked by the four evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John each clasping his gospel book embossed with his traditional emblem such as the eagle of St John.
Above these figures amidst the riot of imagery can be discerned the instruments of the Passion and other Christian motifs such as the fish and a butterfly - an ancient symbol of the Resurrection.
On either side of the High Altar, two windows of the same period by James Powell repeat the theme of the Eucharist: a pelican feeding her young from her own breast,
the traditional symbol of Corpus Christi (the Body of Christ) and the Lamb and Flag symbol of the Agnus Dei (The lamb of God).
These two windows (Clayton and Bell 1893) were presented to the church in thanksgiving for the lives of the Misses Gosselin of Bengeo Hall who had served the church faithfully throughout their lives and died tragically within a few days of each other in an outbreak of influenza. Very different in style from the East window, these windows create an impression of life and movement but are also characterised by the richness of their colour. Appropriately women from the New Testament feature prominently in both.
North Aisle - Left Window
In the upper panel of the central light, Our Lord enthroned in glory clasps an orb in his left hand while his right hand is raised in blessing.
In the lower panel, he is portrayed as the good Shepherd rescuing a lost sheep from a thorn bush.
On either side, two figures from the Acts of the apostles, Lydia the seller of purple to the left and Dorcas making robes for the poor to the right, represent the devotional and practical sides of Christian service.
North Aisle - Right Window
The theme of this window is the Christian virtues of Faith, Hope and Charity.
In the upper panels, Faith is represented by Saint John holding a chalice and a cross, Hope by Saint Clement clasping an anchor the instrument of his martyrdom, while in the centre we see Our Lady representing Charity in the guise of motherhood.The lower panels depict the Annunciation, the Visitation and the woman touching the hem of Our Lord’s garment.
The Millennium Window
At the West end of the North aisle, there is a second depiction of the Agnus Dei.
A white lamb with gold nimbus showing three red rays holds a silver staff supporting a white banner with a red cross. This window which was formerly placed behind the altar of Christ Church, Bengeo, was moved to this church when Christ Church was made redundant.
The Trinity Window
This window at the East end of the South aisle by Petri Anderson (2005) was presented to the church by the Horlock family.
The design is based on work produced in our Sunday School. The three roundels feature a modern interpretation of the Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) and complement the series of more traditional symbols of this theme in the upper tracery of the windows in the South aisle.