Holy Trinity - The Nave
When we enter the church through the North door and stand at the crossing, it is immediately apparent that it was the intention of the architect to recreate a village church of the period 1150-1250.
Pointed arches supported by circular columns draw the eye to the lengthy chancel and the geometrical tracery of the large East window whose colourful stained glass has a jewel-like quality.
On either side of the nave, the aisles with their separate roofs create a surprising sense of space for a relatively modest building although this has been compromised to some extent by the creation of the entrance lobby and other facilities in the North aisle.
An attractive feature at the West end is the projecting gallery originally designed to accommodate the children and beyond which we can see the ringing chamber.
The tower, which was completed 5 years after the main body of the church, contains a peal of 8 bells and a clock much valued by the community.
Approximately 40 years after the church was built an oak rood screen was introduced at the entrance to the chancel but this was removed in the 1960s and is now sited in the baptistery area. Much more recently that part of the church was reordered to accommodate a platform and rails for a nave altar designed by our church architect, David Kirby, and executed by cabinet maker Alan Cracknell (both members of our congregation).
The pulpit cross is the work of Siegfried Pietzch a wood carver from Bavaria who settled in Hertfordshire but who had trained in Oberammergau. The crucified Christ is presented as a king vested in royal robes.