The church is best seen from the lych gate in Bengeo Street.
The lych gate traditionally shelters the coffin and bearers awaiting the priest who is to conduct a funeral. It is here where he welcomes them on consecrated ground and precedes them into church.
This gate dates from 1894 and was built as a memorial to Robert Smith of Goldings who had been a generous benefactor of the church. Its roof is surmounted by a slender copper cross rising from an orb worked in the curvilinear style characteristic of the period and which we know as Art Nouveau.
From the lych gate a stately avenue bordered by lime trees leads through the extensive churchyard to the West door of the church passing through an attractive wrought iron arch with finials of fleur de lys pattern which formerly supported an oil lamp.
Immediately ahead the broach spire rises approximately 100 feet into the sky and is flanked by the symmetrical gables of the aisles.
The church is built of Kentish ragstone quarried near Maidstone probably transported by barge down the River Lea. The churchyard has been closed for burials for many years but to the South of the church an area has been converted into a memorial garden for the interment of ashes.